Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Snell Pete Snell is offline

Default get rid of mercaptant

Karl Townsend wrote:
I need an old 100# LP bottle for use in my shop. I took the valve off three
hours ago and have an air hose line inside the bottle blowing air in for
over an hour now. No sign of the smell abating. SWMBO will cause me serious
bodily harm if I make the house smell like that. Any good ideas to rid an
old bottle of propane smell? Don't say light a match.

Karl

http://www.williams.com/midstream/docs/Odorization.pdf

To quote "Neutralize by adding household bleach (Clorox, Purex)
to the spill area."

Sounds like a quick rinse with dilute laundry bleach would help a
bunch. Don't think I'd try it at full strength though, since there might
be a reaction of some sort. Anyone know the chemistry?

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

"That's a very elaborate story, but where have
you REALLY been the last three days?"

Jonah's Wife, sometime BC