Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default condensing boiler thermostat setting

Ed Sirett wrote in news:finevc$1ej
:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:06:41 +0100, John wrote:

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in
:

In article ,

at the moment the boiler thermostat is set to 65 deg and

the cylinder
to 58 deg.

my question is it better to set up to boiler thermostat

max ? will
the boiler still work in condensing mode ?

The boiler would be running at its most efficient when

the return
water
temp to the boiler is 54c

It still gets even more efficient at lower temperatures

than
that.
My condensing boiler runs at 40C return temperature for

heating,

True but I was replying to OP and making some assumptions

based on his
plumbers comments
I.e. I would be surprised if radiators have been replaced

and resized to
allow such a low return temp. And I think it's only the

ecomax combi
that has a separate HW temp setting.

I believe AG may have done that for himself. I doubt that

serviceable
radiators are worth replacing with oversized units on fuel

efficiency
grounds. But with a new system you would try to

design/guesstimate for
cooler return temps.

Yes that was the assumption I was making in my reply to the OP

Many many combis have seperate controls for heating and the

MAXIMUM HW
temp, even really low end units.

I wasn't suggesting that the ecomax combi was the only one
with a separate HW control, more that the OPs ecomax system or
heatonly boiler did not have this facility whereas the combi
variant does.

There are only a few quite high end models for non combis

which have
different setting for HW mode and heating mode, and then

only in the
larger units.

Yes like Vaillants own EcoTec plus 415, although hardly
classified as large at 15Kw.
Unless you were referring to case dimensions :P

John.