Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default How much torque on a fitting?

On Nov 29, 11:50 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 29, 2:45 pm, "Steve Barker" wrote:

reminds me of a funny i did once upon a time. i had the manifold off of a
small block chevy and managed to break a t-stat bolt off. I proceeded to
drill that sucker all the way through and put a nut on the bottom side. I
wish i could have been there for the next som-beach that had to take that
bolt out. I laughed for years over that.

"Harry K" wrote in message

My worst panic was the day I twisted off one of the bolts holding the
thermostat while installing a freshly completely overhauled motor in
my PU. (1962 Chev 6) Only thin original left on it was the block/
camshaft and crank. Carefully drilled dead center for an easy out and
busted the drill bit off in the hole just as I was finishing. Much
fun with a dental pick before I got that out of there.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Heck, if I put a nut on the underside I probably would have forgotton
about it *myself* the next time I tried to take it apart. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Ah yes. I totally replaced the plumbing in the basement in this old
house. Somehow managed to get the hot and cold lines reversed going
to the wash tub (one of those old granit jobs). Told myself "no
problem, I'll remember adn I am the only one who will use it" Nope.
After dipping my hand into a HOT stream of water twice, I reworked it
to be standard.

Harry K