Posted to sci.electronics.repair, alt.music.makers.electric-piano,rec.music.makers.synth, alt.toys.hi-tech, misc.consumers
hooch hooch is offline

Default HELP!!!! TRIPPED OVER POWER SUPPLY!!!!

On Nov 29, 4:21 pm, Prisoner at War wrote:
On Nov 28, 5:09 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

1. Buy, borrow, or steal a really cheap DVM (digital voltmeter). Test
if the power supply is generating whatever it says on the label. Don't
be suprised if it produces more than the nameplate voltage rating.
The cords and connectors on such "wall warts" frequently fail when
mechanically stressed. If nothing is coming out of the power supply,
find the break or find a replacement power supply.

The electrician at my job applied his voltage meter to the adapter
this morning, and it read exactly "zero." Another adapter registered
seventeen-point-something, so my adapter is dead for sure.

Interestingly, the electrician hypothesized that a wire had been
broken and tried to feel for the break by running his fingers along
the cord. Finding nothing, he thinks it may be something in the brick
itself.

More often than not, the break is at the point where the wire enters
the brick.
Which is why it's not a good idea to wrap the wire tightly around the
brick when storing adapters.