Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John2005 John2005 is offline

Default Recommendation for tap fit hole tolerance in 4140 pre-hard steel

On Nov 29, 10:01 pm, Clark Magnuson wrote:
If it is that RC28 pre hardened from J&L, and old tap should cut it.

Hi Clark,

Please let me clarify my question, when I said "tap fit" I meant that
the pin will be tapped with a hammer through the hole in the housing.
There are no threads involved.

My concern is with the min. and max. hole size that will allow the pin
to be lightly hammered through the housing hole fairly easily, but I
don't want the housing rotating on the pin. The housing and pin must
rotate together, and the ends of the pin rotate in needle bearings.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks
John