Posted to alt.home.repair
Mamba Mamba is offline

Default Installing an exhaust fan

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Well, here's the fan that I like:

http://www.westsidewholesale.com/ind...&CATEGORY=6343

Not that I need 150 CFM as my bathroom is only 7'x8' but I'm attracted
to its very low sones. Or are sones largely bs?

Not BS at all. We have a fairly nice townhouse that was built well in most
respects. It is recent construction, done well, and the finishings were
several grades above the standard tract level. The master bath is large
with slate floors and granite counters. Along with this nice facade was a
crappy contractor grade Nutone ceiling fan. It didn't work well, sounded
like a Lear Jet winding up, and was a pain from the start. It always
annoys me to see the hidden junk that [some] contractors will use to save a
few bucks in an application like this.

Finally last year I replaced it with a 50CFM Panasonic unit (baby brother of
the one the OP linked to). When I first turned it on, I thought I had wired
it wrong, since I couldn't hear it at first.

We went with the 90CFM (or was it 80?) unit at our tiny cabin for two
reasons. First the celing is low so it needs to be cleared of steam faster
when showering, and secondly because the bathroom is right off the kitchen,
and some privacy is a nice touch. Still the sound generated is very low
compared to low grade offereings.

Go to a good supply place and see if they have demo units set up. Turn them
on and hear/feel the difference. It really is quite an eye-opener.