Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Keeping front door closed

Charlie S. wrote:

Have a wooden front door that has warped with age. Doesn't stay closed.
Have tried putting insulation strips to keep it shut. Still swings open.
If I put too much insulation it is too difficult to close.

Can't seem to find the right balance of friction. I know the door is most
likely not set right, but don't have the expertise to re-hang hinges. Any
other suggestions?

I've read a few other posts, and have one concern. If the door is truly
warped, adjusting hinges might do more harm than good. I'm curious as
to what type of door, whether solid, panel, hollow, etc. Also, have you
taken a straight edge to determine how deeply it is warped and in what
direction - bowed top and bottom or side to side? Door has finish on it
or plain unfinished wood?