Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Stacking Washer/Dryer trick?

According to DerbyDad03 :
We still haven''t heard why you are building a platform. Since they
are not "standard" we're curious as to why you plan to use one. Maybe
we'll learn something.

The SO wants the door to the washer about 4 inches higher than it is.
The main reason is so that the door will open over a laundry basket
(ordinary type, not unusually high).

She has said, so far, that the resulting 4" increase in the height to
where the dryer door would be is okay.

It may well be that after installation that since the door opens
towards the side wall (instead of sweeping into the main foottraffic
area), and there being much more space in front (right now it's
only about 30"), being able to open the door with a basket directly
in front is no longer an issue.

I'm personally not so sure that having the dryer that much higher
will work, and I'm going to do the measurements/calculations again
and get her to reconsider. I seems to me that the bottom of
the dryer opening must be lower than armpit height to be able
to reach into it properly.

We're both over 5'7", so, we can tolerate the dryer being higher
than many people. If either of us were 5'2", obviously, it wouldn't
work.

I'd personally prefer not to have a platform from the perspective
of servicing the unit and perhaps tripping hazard. Tho, if we do
decide to skip the platform, I still think I want to put an extra
layer of 3/4" plywood under the washer for additional stiffening,
and that shouldn't present too much difficulty in sliding it
in and out.
--
Chris Lewis,