Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.music.makers.electric-piano,rec.music.makers.synth,alt.toys.hi-tech,misc.consumers

Default HELP!!!! TRIPPED OVER POWER SUPPLY!!!!

Prisoner at War hath wroth:

The electrician at my job applied his voltage meter to the adapter
this morning, and it read exactly "zero." Another adapter registered
seventeen-point-something, so my adapter is dead for sure.

Congrats. That should be an easy fix.

Interestingly, the electrician hypothesized that a wire had been
broken and tried to feel for the break by running his fingers along
the cord. Finding nothing, he thinks it may be something in the brick
itself.

That sometimes works. Most of the dead wall warts I've dissected have
breaks inside the molded connector due to lousy soldering. You can
sometimes find the break using a Christmas tree lamp broken wire
finder if the adapter has an AC output. That doesn't work with a DC
adapter.

I've just ordered a new power supply. I hope that's the only problem!

(...)
I sure hope not. Is there a God of Electronics and an appropriate
prayer for this occasion?

Sorta. Just send me a substantial contribution via Paypal at the
address below, and I'll petition a variety of dieties for a favorable
troubleshooting outcome. However, the gods seem to be out of service
as I'm having difficulties repairing some test equipment, where even
the sacred 4 letter words have no effect. You can probably do as well
yourself by immolating the wall wart on a suitable altar (hibacci will
do), where the resultant smog is allegedly pleasing to the gods.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/wall-wart-01.html

?

Don't ask.

I don't want to rearrange my whole apartment around the keyboard, so
I'll just have to schlepp it back and forth closer to the outlet (all
others are full of different devices as it is

Find an AC extension cord or power strip. When you trip over that
heavy cord, it will either unplug from the AC outlet, or fatally
injure yourself.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D