Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Vinyl Siding

On Nov 29, 6:03Â*am, wrote:
On Nov 29, 12:02Â*am, " wrote:

On Nov 28, 8:23�pm, "SteveC" wrote:

WOW, thanks for the info. �I now feel better going ahead with this project
in the spring.

Cheers!

ask a realtor, you are likely about to decrease your homes value. no
matter what paint wears scratches and fails.

you are turning a no maintence home into a repaint every 5 or 10
years, and will pay the price at home resale time.

It was a very good move for me. The life of the siding (30+ yrs) had
faded out. $600.00 in paint or $6000 in new siding. Where I reside
wood siding (rough side out) is preferred over anything else and is a
selling factor in home resale. 120+ year old homes in my immediate
area with anything but wood siding, well, just looks cheap and tacky.

well the OP is painting to change color from white to red. the red
color may cause siding to expand and contract more.

I would have zero objections if the vinyl were worn and being
repainted the same color.

but expansion may cause wear at overlap points, vinyl moves a lot,
thats why its never nailed solidly in place.

OP is creating maintence issues while devaluing his home....