Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot Stealth Pilot is offline

Default Drill Press spindle bearing replacement

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:53:27 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Grant Irwin did a nice piece on drill presses. Check http://www.tinyisland.com/htbdrillp.txt

Bob Swinney

wrote in message
It's NTN 6204z on upper and NTN 6206z on lower. I can't say which one
is rattling. I'll replace both.
What kind of puller do I need to remove the bearings? Do bearing
dealers provide any tool rental or I'll have to buy a puller etc.?

Before you dig too deep, look up a document someone here on
RCM wrote called, IIRC, "How to buy a drill press" and use the
checklist he has to see what's actually wrong. As I remember,
bearings are not the only parts of these that make noise, it can
also be worn splines.

Hope that helps,
--Glenn Lyford

armed with a pot of common old grease.
flip the lid orff the top of the pulley safety case.
pull the quill down.
squidge in a few gollops of grease into the hole on top of the quill.
when you cant get any more grease in, place your thumb over the hole
to seal it off.
let the quill rise to the top of its travel. this will squish grease
down around the quill.
lift your thumb off and then pull the quill down again.
squidge in as much more grease as you can.
place thumb over the top of the quill again and release the quill.
repeat until you cant get any more grease in.

the grease now all the way along the quill will kill most of the
rattle.

Stealth Pilot