Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Installing an exhaust fan

On Nov 28, 7:26 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

How does one install an exhast fan when the joists run parallel to the
outside wall. My prospective contractor recommends drilling holes in
the joists. This is a larger bathroom so I need a larger fan so I am
going to have 6" holes in my joints. Isn't that effectively cutting
them in half? What could be an alternative solution?

Thanks!

Aaron

I'm going from memory here......holes in joists.

Never in the center 1/3 of the span, no notches

Must allow 2" min (1/3 of the joist depth?) between edge of hole & top
or bottom of joist

If these "rules" are correct that means about a 2.5" hole max in a
2x8... ~3" hole in a 2x10

Of course you could make aluminum (or steel) doubler plates to
reinforce the holes in the joists

but in any case a 6" hole is pretty big you could go rectangular
duct to minimize hole depth (like a 3 x10) might work. out ok but I'd
still consider the doubler plates.

cheers
Bob