Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Brent is offline

Default Hummmm......

On Nov 26, 1:35 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

news

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

snip

That's the world as it really is. FWIW, none of this has much to do with
the neocon project, which is only marginally overlapping. This is just
the struggle between big powers for control, both of their own destiny
and of the military/economic/political complexion of the world at large.

--
Ed Huntress

Do you remember the thread about the surplus hydro power in Turkey, I
think? And, how that power would be the basis for the whole region's
future economies?

I don't remember the thread, Tom. I don't think I saw it at all.

The big problem with oil, though, is the developed (and developing) worlds'
dependence on it for transportation. I don't think the Middle East's
consumption enters into the political problem; it's *our* consumption, and
Europe's, and China's. We're going to have a hell of a time weaning
ourselves off of oil for cars and trucks, and for the myriad products we
make from petroleum, as well.

Meantime, we can always dig up western Canada and suck the oil out of the
sand. There's a lot of it -- 200 years worth at current world consumption
rates, by some estimates.

In fact, the Canadians are sucking it out by the megatons as we speak. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

We Canadians have oil between alberta hibernia and sable island but
were not stupid.

We know we can extract a premium for reliable oil form a stable
democratic country. being able to COUNT on Canadian crude compared to
the middle east is worth a premium and we are doing better for it for
now.

Though the US has basically shown its economies Jugular vein with its
dependence on oil for transport. Most countrie would hurt if the
petroleum gas supply were to dry up but could manage well. the US
would be almost crippled.

Brent
[happy my car will burn vegetable oil if it needs to]