Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default MAPPS Torch Rather Than Propane For Home Plumbing ?

On Nov 28, 9:17 am, "Robert11" wrote:

a. which is more popular now for occasional house use to run a new line,
repair a leak, etc. ?

b. With MAPP, does one still have to "completely" drain the line of any
water first ?
If so, "fully" drain ?

c. MAPP more expensive ?

d. Pros and cons, etc.

Rather than just give an opinion, here's a recent experience.

I had to replace a faucet bibb on a 3/4" copper line. Cut the old bibb
off. Line had a slow drip that I couldn't stop. Packed a bread in the
line to stop the leak. Tried to sweat the new bibb on using a propane
torch. Tried for over 20 minutes and never could get the solder to
flow properly. Gave up and bought a Mapp gas outfit. Did a perfect
job in about 2-3 minutes.
So it was not a case of impatience - the propane just would not get
the line, bibb. & water hot enough to solder whereas the MAPP did an
excellent job.

Red