Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default MAPPS Torch Rather Than Propane For Home Plumbing ?

(Doug Miller) writes:

I have no idea whether MAPP is more popular than propane for occasional house
use, but I can assure you that it works far, far better. I finally bought a
MAPP torch about two years ago, and haven't even touched a propane torch
since.

It seems there are two differences with MAPP torches: different fuel,
and different burner construction. All of the MAPP torches I've seen
use "swirl combustion" burners that make a lot of noise when operating
compared to the cheap but quiet propane torches.

Now, at least some of the MAPP torches (I think mine is a Turner) have
an internal pressure regulator that can be adjusted for either propane
or MAPP fuel. The swirl torch is hotter when burning propane than an
ordinary propane torch, though not as hot as the same swirl torch
burning MAPP.

So I tend to ignore my "normal" propane torch and use the swirl torch
all the time - but I burn propane for smaller jobs (e.g. half-inch
copper plumbing) where it provides enough heat. I switch to MAPP for
larger jobs.

Dave