Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Telephone line troubleshooting

In article
,
PaulD wrote:

Update:
The telephone repairman came out today. The problem was outside
the house in the telephone company's lines. My wife was at home not
me so I don't know what the problem was in the telephone company's
equipment. The repairman mentioned work was being done about two
miles from my house that apparently caused the problem.
Interestingly, my connection seemed to be the only one effected.

A common scenario: A maintenance "section throw" was done in a large(er)
cable serving your area. That is, a "bad" section of cable was replaced.
This typically involves a splicer at each end of the section. With voice
coordination between the two technicians, they cut-off the old cable, a
25-pair group-at-a-time and connect the new group.

During this process it is not uncommon for a pair to be transposed to a
different (wrong) pair. If the affected pair is a "working" pair, that
subscriber is OOS (Out Of Service) until they report the trouble.

That your DSL remained usable is technically feasible under a couple or more
scenarios including a split pair, the section throw was "ahead" of the DSLAM,
etc.
--

JR

Mean Evil Bell System