Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Doug McDonald Doug McDonald is offline

Default Repair broken Tek 485 or buy good used 2465/A/B?

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

Reasons why I should maybe stay with my 485:

1) Better proprietary IC availability (?, don't beat me up; I thought
this was what I read...)
2) Easier to service/repair than the 2465
3) More robust for the beginner

Obviously if I am thinking like this, I have no idea what I should
ultimately do. What does everyone think? ducking

I'm an expert on these things. The 485 is the best portable
analog scope ever made. It is arguably the best analog scope ever made,
though the 7904 series competes well on the bench. Do anything you
can to keep one working. There is no substitute for a 485/7904,
and I've used them all, including $50,000 digital ones. For repairing
analog electronic oddities, digital frequently simply
doesn't work.

A 485 is 350 MHz scope.

The 2465 is a very poor substitute, though a good scope.

Doug McDonald