Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.music.makers.electric-piano,rec.music.makers.synth,alt.toys.hi-tech,misc.consumers
Ouroboros_Rex Ouroboros_Rex is offline

Default HELP!!!! TRIPPED OVER POWER SUPPLY!!!!

"Prisoner at War" wrote in message
On Nov 28, 1:48 pm, "Ouroboros_Rex" wrote:

I do that routinely, and it took an $11,000 broken elbow to make me
quit
it and buy a $9 length of cable cover. Don't be me.

Yikes! Well, thanks, I certainly learned my lesson now!

Just curious...how did an elbow wind up costing $11K?? I ask 'cause
I've developed golf and tennis elbows in my left arm -- from weight-
lifting!

your problem: it wasn't just a disconnection, it was probably a
healthy yank too. Check to see if your adapter produces power. If not,
get
another power supply.

Yep, I'm going to ask one of the handymen where I work for a voltage
meter tomorrow....

Just take in the supply. =)

If so, it's probably the power jack on the keyboard,
these can usually be replaced if you can find one. Once I had to use a
different type and cut a hole in the case for it and run wires to it from
the PC board - worked fine.

You know, I was just wondering...I hope these electric keyboards open
up easily...if it's as you say, perhaps I can do it myself...the
repair shop wants $50 just to diagnose the thing -- and we're not even
talking about a home visit, either!

They do not necessarily open easily, and all sorts of panel buttons and
other bits can fall out if you're not careful. You can also static shock
things into scrap status. If you don't have skills in this area, it's
probably best to pay the piper here.

If the jack tests OK, look for built-in fuses or fusible links on the
PC
board or power circuits. It is somewhat possible your disconnection
generated a power spike.

"Built-in fuses"..."fusible links"...you mean, it could just be like a
fuse in the apartment, something I simply switch back to the "on"
position????

No, it would be something that turned black, or looked like a blown fuse,
or popped up or whatnot, which you would probably have to desolder and
replace, or bridge (not recommended.)

Old Apple II disk drives used a hex buffer chip as a 'fuse'. it was just
a standard part and did not discolor, so sometimes these simply can't be
seen.