Peter T. Keillor III

Default Righty Tighty - But Why?

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:41:04 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

On 09 Jun 2004 19:09:54 GMT, () wrote:

In article ,
Adam wrote:

I think the more interesting question is why are 95+% of people right
handed, rather than 50/50.

My theory is that, if left to our own choice, equal number(*) of people
would be right handed as left.

Unfortunately, we aren't left to our own choice. I recall being scolded by
a teacher for using "the wrong hand" to hold my pencil. My dad had the same
experience. I've heard the same story from others as well.

*Footnote:
I don't say 50/50, because there are some folks who are ambidexterous,
and there are some folks who can't use either hand effectively. I believe
those latter folks are called management.

If you tested your theory you would find out that right handedness is
the more common version of human. There has been lots of speculation
why this should be. It is not cultural. Most people are born right
handed. Often though, the left eye and/or foot may be the dominant one
on a right handed person.
ERS

And vice-versa on a left handed person, which is why I shoot right
handed now.

Pete Keillor