Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default How to paint dials on mill?

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
snip-----.

That it can be done that way, is by no means an endorsment that it can
ONLY be done that way.

I didn't imply that. That is in your imagination. I simply stated that
I prefer working that way, and included, somewhere ":YMMV".

Harold

I didna say you did, Harold. I simply made a statement to the effect that
just because it can be done one way, that it inna the only way.

I'm not trying to pick on ya. Really! :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

If you'd like to be realistic, and this is sure to raise a few
eyebrows------the use of a DRO is a perfect avoidance of learning good and
proper procedures. For one, when a DRO is employed, operators tend to
disregard backlash----which is ever present, and can be difficult for
reasons beyond positioning properly.

Want me to say it another way? A DRO is often used in the same way
insert carbide tooling is used----to avoid learning something that requires
considerable effort. You might say it's the great equalizer------but it's
not. That's my point. Those of us that learned machining the hard way
learned from the ground up, and can perform tasks routinely that many find
difficult, or impossible.

Do I recommend against a DRO? Hell no-----but I do recommend against a
DRO if it comes at the price on never learning to work with dials. Dials
are always there for you-----and in the hands of talented people, can serve
exceedingly well.

Example?

Much of the tooling I built had tolerances in tenths. In all my years in
the shop, I worked exclusively with screws, and I had just common machine
tools, nothing exotic. I learned to operate my equipment
properly------something that surely would not have occurred had I used cheat
methods.

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em, but don't go out of your way to buy 'em if you
have any talent at all. They're not all they're cracked up to be, and
they'll deprive you of a valuable learning experience. The money spent in
a DRO could be far better spent on more equipment that actually contributed
to one's shop.

Harold