Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab Bill Schwab is offline

Default Square tubing finish options

Pre-Meltdown wrote:
How in the hell would you expect anyone to be able to give you a good
answer, without knowing the depth of cut necessary and the finish that
you want?

John Martin

Well, I have developed considerable respect for the frequent contributors
here. You might care to read some of their replies, because they are
insightful, based in experience and professionalism.

Ironically, one of them even suggested a depth of cut, of the same order
of magnitude that I had in mind.

And to finish that point, as I deal with 1/8 wall alum tube often, I'd fall
over if a .010 cut did anything to the tube ito twist or anything else,
besides the very slight structural weakening due to thinning the wall.

Just thought I'd ask. I know that at some point, one can release a lot
of residual stresses.

And, if you were doing this in a CNC, you could take this cut in rapid,
literally about a couple of seconds per face (or less!), with a *near-mirror
finish*!
Much faster than Scotchbriting, and with fewer consummables, in this case.
And, no need to clean, if you cut it dry.

Regardless of what I decide to do (or not do), thanks!

And as other posters have said, the more satiny the finish, the less
fingerprints will show, altho I seem to recall my prints showing up pretty
well on the scotchbrited stuff I did (satiny), altho these were also
unwashed "shop hands".

Professionalism, eh? I guess I should go back to my previous handle
(Proctologically Violated®©), and remove all doubts.

That might have been pushing itG, but it seemed appropriate to come to
everyone's aide.

As an aside, who/what's meltdown are you anticipating?

Bill