Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default kitchen worktops?

On 28 Nov, 19:54, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

snip old stuff and possible typos

refuse to remove the tiles, both in the kitchen and in the bathroom and I
wouldn't be without the pantry.

The lady next door still has her panty (I'll leave in that typo !) -
it has a very large air brick to outside (typo is getting funnier
now ...).

Ours has a small casement window, part glass, part perforated zinc sheet.

I thus realised the point of the covered porch at the back -
all carefully thought out by the designers. The kitchen had two doors
next to each other, one for the pantry and one was the back door.

There's posh!

Mind you, there was a door on the outside wall which was for the coal store,
underneath the stairs and behind the pantry. Never thought about making it
into a separate entrance to the pantry, a bit OTT ...

We have no more lead plumbing in the house, it was perforated when we
moved
in, I think the fireback boiler is still there though. We also re-wired
the
house so it has no more twin flex or rubber sheathed wire - some in steel
conduits. It was an interesting exercise.

I know that most houses in the street have virtually been gutted to make
them 'modern'. I'm not modern so why should I live in a 'modern' house?
Some
modern appliances are desirable, their presence doesn't usually interfere
with the fabric of the house.

One thing we are not doing is knocking through back and front rooms,
which probably 70 percent of the houses have done in the street.

A lot of our neighbours have done that. We like to have retreats, especially
when the children were at home.

We don't have children yet, but figured someone doing homework in one
room, TV in the other etc.

I'd
like to build a larger porch and enlarge the hall area, but we'd have
to lose the original front door with stained glass, which would be a
shame.

Do you need to? Our front door has its original light which is a smaller and
round verson (a galleon) of the hall and landing lights. We built a porch
but the front door is still there.

We don't need to, its just I like large hallways, adds to the spacious
feel I guess. At the moment the porch is just the enclosed arch at the
front. I would remove the original inner door and build a new porch on
the front, so the hall gets longer.
Our stairs are quite near the front door at present and it would give
more space for putting on coats etc, and its a nice place to put the
Christmas tree ! Anyway, it's the extension out back next year. I've
now got the foundations poured (dug by hand for various reasons !), so
bricklaying starts next year when the weather is better and the
evenings lighter.
Simon.