Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Mice (mouse) in house - dead

wrote:
I made the mistake of baiting mice. They have since died and there is
a real bad odor. They seem to be in the ceiling area of my basement
but am not 100% sure. I don't want to do a tear out. I removed one 4x8
sheet of drywall where I thought they might be - but no. Will the odor
leave when they fully decompose? Any time frame on this? It's not an
unbearable odor - just unpleasant.

Thanks

I bait but have never smelled a dead mouse. I've found some old
dessicated mice in traps but they did not smell. I would imagine that
if blow flies got to the dead mouse before it mummified, then there
would be an odor as the maggots do their work. Eventually odor will
clear as cadaverine and the odorants committed from a corpse are
volatile organic compounds.