Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Telephone line troubleshooting

terry wrote:
On Nov 28, 1:20 pm, Jerry wrote:
On Nov 27, 2:03 pm, "Mamba" wrote:

Hard to imagine tho. I beleive a DSL filter goes on each voice phone line,
meaning each one would need to be faulty?

Not necessarily. Some of the material I googled indicated that a DSL
installation might involve a splitter, right at the phone line
entrance to the premises. One line in, two lines out. One of the two
lines goes to the DSL modem only. The other line goes to all the voice
telephone jacks. In this case, 1 filter would suffice for all the
voice jacks.

Jerry

That is the way our older installed DSL is; there is one 'filter'
right after telco. line enters the house which separates the
telephones from the DSL. After that it is separate wiring to the
phones around the house.
In newer and 'self' installations there is often a filter at each
phone which prevents DSL from getting into the phones and/or they from
interfering with the DSL.
Don't think the OP has enough circuit analytical skills to trouble
shoot the situation. And seems to be averse to totally disconnecting
the telephone pair outside to prove whether it is IN or or OUTSIDE his
house?
It may be one side open outside, something shorting (or semi shorting)
the line, defective modem, defective filter. Agree that in most cases
if it's outside it's telco responsibility. If inside, these days of
competition etc. customer responsibility. But he should be careful
about not messing it up more for the telephone tech to have to fix!

That's the way I wired my DSL. The line
come in the house; no interface
box, just a lightening arrestor/terminal
box. The line splits; one to a DSL filter,
to the phones; the other to the DSL
modem and one additional wired
phone with its own DSL filter.