Posted to alt.home.repair
franz frippl franz frippl is offline

Default Telephone line troubleshooting

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:26:13 -0800, PaulD wrote:

My telephone service is out. I have scheduled a tech to come out
tommorrow, but if I can troubleshoot this myself I am willing to try.
Here is the situation:
The telephone tested the line remotely and did not find a problem. I
do not get a dial tone on any of my phones. I have disconnected
all devices from their jacks and tried reconnecting one at a time. I
did not get a dial tone on any of the lines after disconnecting
everything and letting the system sit for several minutes.
Although I do not get a dial tone on my telephones, I still have a
high speed internet connection. This strikes me as odd, but I don't
know how these things work.
I do not have a more modern network interface. Instead I have an
entrance bridge. My multimeter indicates that I am getting about 24
volts between the green and red wires. One site I have read says this
should be closer to 48 volts. Does this suggest the problem might be at
the phone company?
Are there any other relatively simple things that I can check? What
would should I do next?

There should be a network interface box where the wires come into the
house, if you are in the US. Open the box where it indicates "customer"
side and disconnect the jumper strap. You should then be totally
isolated from the phone company's system. Next plug a working phone into
the jack. If you get dial tone, then the problem is within your house.
If no dial tone, then it's a phone company issue.