Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] beerguzzler50@yahoo.com is offline

Default MAPPS Torch Rather Than Propane For Home Plumbing ?

On Nov 28, 10:17 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Guess this dates me, but when I did a fair amount of house plumbing, there
was pretty much
only the Propane type of torches.

I see now at Home Depot, that they apparently sell a lot of MAPP torches for
this purpose.

So, may I please ask:

a. which is more popular now for occasional house use to run a new line,
repair a leak, etc. ?

b. With MAPP, does one still have to "completely" drain the line of any
water first ?
If so, "fully" drain ?

c. MAPP more expensive ?

d. Pros and cons, etc.

Thanks,
Bob

MAPP will make your joint hotter quicker...seems to allow better
solder joints since the flux doesn't slowly burn off. It also allows
you to work faster. You still need make sure there is not water
anywhere near your joint...that has not changed. It is the only thing
I ever use now.