Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default HELP!!!! TRIPPED OVER POWER SUPPLY!!!!

Prisoner at War wrote:
On Nov 27, 5:24 pm, "James Sweet" wrote:

Is it a switchmode power supply? Often those fail in a way such that they
work fine but can't start up from cold. Often it's dried up capacitors. You
may have also cracked a solder joint or jarred something else loose if the
mechanical shock yanked on the power supply itself or the keyboard. Should
be an easy fix either way for someone who works on electronics.

Hopefully nothing's wrong with the keyboard at all, and hopefully it's
simply an easy fix if so...I guess the first order of business would
be to get a new adapter and see if maybe -- hopefully -- that isn't
the matter...I don't know whether I have a switchmode power supply
(whatever that is) or what, but I can't help but get
hysterical...electronics are always failing on me for one reason or
another: sometimes for no reason at all! For example, I typically get
only a year or two of use out of any DVD Player I've ever owned before
they one day just stop working, either properly or at all! And lately
I've got two discs which simply won't play anymore, despite my not
having played the movies in months, and their surfaces being in
pristine condition....

It might be the power connector (socket) on the actual keyboard that has
developed a fractured solder joint, it`s a very common problem. Is it
the usual coaxial power connector as seen on most wallwart powered
devices these days? does it feel loose? does wiggling the plug in the
socket while attempting to turn the k/b on have any effect?

It could even be a break in the wire from the psu to the little plug,
simple checks with a meter would narrow down the culprit.

Ron(UK)