Doug Weller

Default Silver trade and Silver item from Vinland earlier Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:35:11 GMT, Inger E Johansson wrote:

"Doug Weller" skrev i meddelandet
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:50:06 -0500, Tom McDonald wrote:
[SNIP]
You've not given us conclusive evidence to say the bowl was
made in America. All we know for sure is that Bardason brought
such a thing to Europe from Greenland.

Did I miss something? Where can I read about this?

You must have missed much Doug. You have gotten files sent by Goran where
the tithes from Vinland is discussed.

I got the files from him. For those who don't know, he's curator of maps at
the Royal Museum of Sweden. I haven't had a chance to read them all, but he
says that they do not back the claim about the bowl and that what we know
about Bardson is his voyage to Greenland in the early 1340s, that he later
became a canon in Bergen, and his involvement in witnessing the
*Stavanager* tithes.

I still think your bowl is the 1327 one, which was from the diocese of
Skara.

But you aren't claiming that those files back your bowl claim, right?

You have repeatedly over the last
five-six years been given the information that the origin documents still
exists in the Vatican Archieves and that several scholars up to WWII saw
them and wrote about them. You have seen, I guess, the document where Ivar
Bardson's delievery of the tithes he collected for the dioceses under Gardar
is confirmed to have been delievered. You have been given information that
the detailed list for what and from where is among the documents in the
Vatican.
Doug take time to analyse instead of jump right on. You are no scholar of
History no one expect you to be able to analyse texts and works 10 times
quicker than any scholar of History with full Latin knowledge and knowledge
of Old-Norse could do.

You claimed the bowl was well known by scholars. I assumed, and probably
others did also, you meant scholars today. It's no good saying that a few
people wrote about them before WWII. Without their names I can't confirm
they were scholars, and without specific references I can't find out what
they wrote. I don't mean to be rude, really, but why won't you give us
this information?
Doug