Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Square tubing finish options

On Nov 28, 9:58 am, Bill Schwab wrote:
It probably would not get all of them, but then neither would
scrotchbright. How would the scotchbright finish handle fingerprints?
The parts in question form the outer casing of the offending gizmo and
are likely to handled far more than the largely flycut and visible innards.
Bill

In my experience brushed aluminum doesn't show them objectionably;
stainless is worse. My fingerprints don't rust steel and darken brass
only slightly after a few weeks but I've built prototypes, demos and
trade show toys that were handled by lots of people and I don't
remember any issues with the Scotchbrite'd aluminum finish. One
fingerprint on polished metal shows up whereas 1000 blend into a
continuous even surface.

The well-handled field return EMT equipment on the rack behind me
doesn't show fingerprints on the matte beige plastic or the black
anodized aluminum handles.

Jim Wilkins