Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default kitchen worktops?

On 27 Nov, 19:38, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message

In uk.d-i-y, Mike... wrote:
Following up to wrote:

but why a waste of resources?
They're only wasted when you throw them away...

whats the average life of a fitted kitchen? 5 -10 years or something,

But use better materials and it will last a lot longer than that.

Unless a new owner doesn't like it ...

I was
surprised the other day to realise that our kitchen (solid wood units,
granite worktops, limestone floor) is now ten years old, because it
feels as if it's still in its infancy.

Our kitchen is much as it was in 1937 ...

Mary

Really. Was the house built in 1937, or was the kitchen "refitted"
then ?
Any chance of a description or some photos ? I've demolished the back
of our old kitchen to make way for an extension (the old wash-house
and pantry area). There is still an old ceramic soap dish recessed
into the kitchen wall behind the current sink unit, so I guess there
would have been a white sink their originally, but it is quite low
down.
I wish I could go back and see what houses were originally like. It's
a real mystery when you see some of the old lead pipes and rubber
wiring wind around the house and appear in strange places.
Simon.