Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Starrin Roy Starrin is offline

Default Telephone line troubleshooting

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:08:20 -0800 (PST), PaulD
wrote:

If you had wiring problems one of the first things to suffer is your DSL.- Hide quoted text -

That is what I would think. Yet I still have my DSL connection. So
is there a problem that would cause my telephone line not to work, but
that would not prevent my internet connection from working?

Your DSL can and does get by on only one wire. I went through this
with local VZ, with the same symptoms and the same results.
First, it is a telphone problem. Work with the folks at VZ tel vice
VZ broadband.
Here are some of the things I was told:
call VZ phone support, and add to that my suggestion:
Be diligent in writing down the date and time of every call you make (there
will likely be more than one) and the name of the reps (there will likely be
more than one per call as well) that you speak to, and the gist of the
conversation. (If you can, record the calls, but be sure to advise the reps
you are doing so.)

Keep this documented. If it doesn't get resolved quickly, be prepared to
write a letter of complaint with copies to your Attorney General's office and
to the Better Business Bureau. Include the dates and times of your
conversations, along with the names of the reps.

Of all that I did, calling VZ and telling them that my next call was
to the VA Public Utility Commission appeared to be the most
effective. HOWEVER, I then,per the instructions in the phone book,
emailed their consumer complaint folks. I told them that having no 911
for 5 days was totally unsat, and the next email was going to the SCC,
just as they provide for in the book.

The problem, which was never disclosed. simply went away by the end
of the day
Oh, the next day, the phone was fine and the DSL went out
BTW - I was advised that "the requirement" is that POTS be restored
within 24 hours, since you have no 911 service. That is the point I
hammered home to the phone company
HTH
starrin