View Single Post
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Telephone line troubleshooting

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote in message news:6a%2j.11657$7T.1688@trndny09...

"Eric" wrote in message ng.com...
48 volts is about right if no phone or other device is "off the hook". Although I would have expected a somewhat lower
number, 24 volts could indicate some device is still trying to use the phone line. Are you sure there's nothing you've
overlooked - an autodialer in a burglar alarm, an unused computer modem, a caller-ID box?

As others have said, assuming your internet connection is DSL, the fact that it's working is a pretty good (although not
100%) sign that your phone line is in good shape.

Eric Law

Surprising as it seems, this is just not true. It is quite possible to have DSL and no dial tone. This often is the case
when the line gets shorted out by something like water in the box (has it rained hard lately?), or animals gnawing on the
insulation, or just plain corrosion. In some ways the DSL signal is more tolerant than POTS. BTW, if your DSL is still
connected, then you don't have everything unplugged. Try unplugging the DSL and plug in one phone to check for a dial
tone.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Um... gee... that's why I put the "not 100%" part in!

Although in my experience with maybe 30 different installations, I've seen "dialtone with no DSL" numerous times, have never
seen "DSL with no dialtone".

Good idea about unplugging the DSL though, and as other posters have said, the filters too.

Eric