Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default How to paint dials on mill?

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Stupendous Man" wrote in message

I can't speak for him, nor for his religion------but I, too, don't use a
DRO, Never have, and likely never will.

Nice part about this is I can keep working should the DRO die, which
many would find challenging. It takes considerable experience to use
dials reliably.

I can too, but the DRO saves time. I could drive nails with a rock, but a
hammer works better.

Never argued that point. The question is, can you work comfortably with
the rock? I can. I'm damned proud of that skill, which came at great
expense.

In order for any of this to make sense, you must work along side someone
that has my type of training. You'll come to realize that a DRO isn't a
necessity-----it's a luxury that can be done without. YMMV.

If you think your DRO will substitute for my practical experience, you're in
for one hell of a lumpy ride. I've had the best challenge me on machines.
They don't often fair well. You have to understand that those of us that
worked without such luxuries learned to work well without them.

Harold

Heck, Harold,

The dials on the machine are a luxury that can be done without. There
were an awful lot of lathes that did not have them at all, that made
parts purely on the skill and experience of their operators, using
comparative measuring equipment,and by fit and feel.

That it can be done that way, is by no means an endorsment that it can
ONLY be done that way.

I rather like the example you gave of using thumb pressure to control
the grinder cut for fine finishing passes. I have done the same on the
lathe, though not in order to get to as fine a limit, and demonstrated
that simply pushing on the carriage of the lathe, will make a difference
in the cut, as will leaning on the machine while it takes a long slow,
and fine pass.

I have read that they has accurately measured the tidal influences in
a teacup sitting on a table. Shows that if you are picky enough, and
have measuring capability, you can account for a great many things, that
each have their influence on the final product.

Cheers
Trevor Jones