Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Compact fluorescent lamps failing

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:08:51 +0000 someone who may be Andy Champ
wrote this:-

They've put in objections or concerns on about 200 applications. I
wonder what proportion of the total that is?

I forgot to add that, given the planning systems in use in the UK,
the way to at least have one's voice heard is to make an objection.
In a number of cases these are holding objections which are made and
then withdrawn for a number of reasons.

Some further amplification:

http://www.embracewind.com/myths.html

"Myth: Wind farms kill birds

"Fact: The RSPB stated in its 2004 information leaflet Wind farms
and birds [13], that "in the UK, we have not so far witnessed any
major adverse effects on birds associated with wind farms". Wind
farms are always subject to an Environmental Impact Assessment. BWEA
members follow Best Practice Guidelines and work closely with
organisations such as English Nature and the RSPB to ensure that
wind farm design and layout does not interfere with sensitive
species or wildlife designated sites. Furthermore, a recent report
published in the journal Nature confirmed that the greatest threat
to bird populations in the UK is climate change [14]."

http://www.bwea.com/pdf/wfd.pdf is the 2001 report by English
Nature, RSPB, WWF-UK and BWEA which looks at the issues in England
and provides what is in effect a checklist. There have been some
changes since then, but it is still worth looking at.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh