Posted to alt.home.repair
observer observer is offline

Default staining a door and then polyurethaning it ?

I have a red mahogany stained front door with a coat of polyurethane
on it. Recently I had to re-stain it and put another coat of
polyurethane on it but after the polyurethane dried I realized that
the stain ran in a couple of spots. What is best to deal with those
runs, steel wool or sand paper 220 grit?

Also if I don't like a spot where I stained and poly'd over that, what
is the best way to prep that spot to stain it again and reapply the
polyurethane over that ? One last question, based on your
experience, what should the minimum temperature be for doing this
stain/polyurethane outside (this might be on the can but just want to
hear it from experience)?