Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default Telephone line troubleshooting

DA, 11/27/2007,9:30:27 PM, wrote:

DA had written this in response to
http://thestuccocompany.com/maintena...roubleshooting
-269065-.htm :

PaulD wrote:

My telephone service is out. My multimeter indicates that I am
getting

about 24
volts between the green and red wires.
Are there any other relatively simple things that I can check?
What would should I do next?

Sounds like a wiring corrosion or equipment problem. Nothing on your
end though, you'll have to wait until the repair tech gets there. The
DSL signal is voltage-independent and so it is not affected (enough
to shut it down). I know is sucks to sit and wait but you need to let
the PhoneCo handle that.

You may be right about the corrosion or equipment problem. If not in
this case then in many other instances this is true. That is one main
reason Verizon is dropping copper lines and going to FiOS. The
maintenance costs of corroding copper and especially the power supplies
at the Central Office used to power everything is prohibitively high.
And of course the other main reason is they had to find a way to
compete with the cable companies in regard to delivering video content.

The initial cost of bringing fiber all the way to the premise is high
but the future dividends will pay off handsomely, at least Verizon is
betting the farm on it.

--
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing." ~ George Bernard Shaw