Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] alvinamorey@notmail.com is offline

Default Mice (mouse) in house - dead

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:23:00 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Nov 27, 11:19 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
wrote in message

I made the mistake of baiting mice. They have since died and there is
a real bad odor. They seem to be in the ceiling area of my basement
but am not 100% sure. I don't want to do a tear out. I removed one 4x8
sheet of drywall where I thought they might be - but no. Will the odor
leave when they fully decompose? Any time frame on this? It's not an
unbearable odor - just unpleasant.

Thanks

Yes, the smell will go away. Eventually.

Look at Victor Tin Cats. A live trap that doesn't have the problem
poison
has caused you. I'm curious. What did you think would happen to them?

Steve

I reside in a rural area with some feilds around. I baited the
perimeter (sp) of the home outside. It's a fairly old home and I have
sealed all areas (I think). The basement sump has a clay pipe for
overflow if the power fails or the sump fails. Tracing the pipe by
guesstimate it's opening some 30 feet from the house was unscreened. I
figure they might have gotten in this way, perhaps or came in with the
firewood.

If a mouse can get his head through a hole, he can get the rest of his body,
too. That's about the size of a dime. Unless a house is built today, and
special attention and a lot of cash is spent on that aspect, it is
impossible to keep mice out. Or they just chew a hole through somewhere.

They sound like a much larger animal when chewing through wood in the dark.

I'm tellin ya. Look at the Tin Cats. You won't keep them down in the
fields, but you can get the ones that make it to the house. And if you're
the humane type, just take them all for a five mile ride. I'd dye a few,
though, just to find out if they make it back to their original home.

Steve

Ummmmmmmmm......... ROTFL
How do you dye a mouse?????