Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] alvinamorey@notmail.com is offline

Default Mice (mouse) in house - dead

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:16:33 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I made the mistake of baiting mice. They have since died and there is
a real bad odor. They seem to be in the ceiling area of my basement
but am not 100% sure. I don't want to do a tear out. I removed one 4x8
sheet of drywall where I thought they might be - but no. Will the odor
leave when they fully decompose? Any time frame on this? It's not an
unbearable odor - just unpleasant.

Thanks

I sure wouldn't rip down a whole sheet of drywall because of a mouse.
Yes, the smell will go away. In fact I just found a mouse trap behind
my water heater with nothing but a skeleton and some fur. Probably
has been there for at least a year. I did notice a foul odor once
during the hot summer but thought it was sewer gas from the septic and
I knew my wax ring on the toilet was bad. I replaced the ring and
never smelled it after that. Maybe it was the mouse because the water
heater is in a closet next to the bathroom.

In your case, if that ceiling is all drywall, replace that sheet and
before you finish, spray a whole can of air freshner up there. Next
time, drill a 1/2" hole and use that same air freshner. Better yet,
use traps, or a cat and avoid the poison indoors.

Now here's something to think about.
On a scale from 1 to 10, (10 is REAL DEAD), how dead is this mouse?
What was his or her name.
Was it a male or female?
How old was it?
Is it's family grieving?
Was a proper funeral held?
Did it's soul go to heaven or hell?
Was it a smoker?
Did it shop at Home Depot?
Did it have an ebay account?
Where did it work?
How much money did it have in it's bank account?
Who is the next of kin?
Who inherited it's estate?

By the time you answer all these questions, the smell should be gone.