Posted to sci.electronics.repair
hooch hooch is offline

Default Removing old flux when desoldering?

On Nov 28, 5:26 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

"robb" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article

m,
hooch wrote:

Any suggestions for the best way to remove old flux from

circuit
boards when desoldering? The wick soaks up the solder just

fine, but
the flux seems to remain behind.

Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol seems to be the widely accepted

method.

what % isopropyl do you use ? if it is greater than 90% drug
store variety where does one fidn such isopropyl ?

i have use the 90% variety and it seems to leave a residue .

robb

Like Arfa said, 99% +. We usually buy 10 gallons at a time from an
industrial chemical supplier; it's cheap and that's their minimum for
free delivery.

Also agree that the residue is likely not the alcohol itself, but a
component of the flux. I wouldn't worry about a bit of residue. It's
harmless.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I didn't have anything mentioned
at home so I tried some "Goo Gone" which seemed to work quite well.