Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] nikkoc@aol.com is offline

Default Vises

On Nov 14, 12:42 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 14, 5:59 pm, Ignoramus28622 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
28622.invalid wrote:
I am now looking for a general purpose vise, as my Harbor Freight vise
seems to be in a not so good shape after I overtightened it.

I have a Columbian vise that I like better than either of the Wilton
vises in your post.
Apparently Columbian is now owed by Wilton, but I don't think it was
when my vise was made ( made in the USA ). Mine has " 504 -M2 "
stamped on the side.

For a really heavy duty vise look for a " 624 1/2 Athol " vise. The
1/2 does not have the slash there. I think that Starret bought the
company and sells the same vise. There is one for sale on ebay that
will close in about 7 hours. It is in Indiana and weights 54 lbs.
$98 shipping to Seattle 8-(

Or a Morgan #140, which is about the same size. There have been a couple on
ebay from time to time. That's the one I have.

--
Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

The Chicago Morgan is a excellent vise. I have a big Morgan 450
with the swivel rear jaw with a big anvil that I will also be listing.