Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Petro Andy Petro is offline

Default Telephone line troubleshooting

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article
,
PaulD wrote:

My telephone service is out.
The telephone tested the line remotely and did not find a problem.

Well, that clinches it: You're making it up. Quit it and leave the
poor
company alone. big grin

I do not get a dial tone on any of my phones.

It can be helpful if, using a working phone (cell phone, neighbor's
phone,
etc), you dial your number and see what you get. Ring/no answer would
suggest
an OPEN somewhere. A busy signal would indicate a line fault/short
somewhere.

Take a working phone to the Network Interface and plug it in. Since
you don't
have one, and you even made that abundantly clear, I thought I would
join the
others and make the same, inane suggestion anyway. sigh

Since you don't have a SNID (Standard Network Interface Device), you
can
probably await a repair without worry for a charge, even if the
trouble is
INSIDE your home.

Although I do not get a dial tone on my telephones, I still have a
high speed internet connection. This strikes me as odd

Yeah, it did me, too, the first time I encountered such a repair. DSL
(Digital Subscriber Line) will work over a SINGLE conductor, even a
rather
faulted one. It takes a "clean" pair for dialtone to work.

I don't know how these things work.

I don't either, but I've managed to fool my employer. Please don't
tell on
me. g

I have an entrance bridge.

That's as good a term as any other. Without seeing the situation, I
suppose
you have a "grandfathered" demarc. That is simply a station
"protector"
device where the service "drop" and station wire are "commoned" on
binding
posts. This is not a bad thing.

My multimeter indicates that I am getting about 24
volts between the green and red wires.

OK, you are an order of magnitude beyond the average telephone
subscriber
simply by virtue of using the word "multimeter", much less possessing
and
using one.

24 volts across the pair suggests an OPEN pair.

Ideally, one side of the pair should have -0- volts with SOLID
continuity to
ground while the other side, with one test lead connected to ground,
should
have -48 to -52 VDC.

What would should I do next?

Wait for your phone to ring. I'll bet "they" don't even have to come
to the
house. Please let us know what happened. Good luck.
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel

The voltage should be 48 volts but only if nothing is connected to it.
Disconnect your DSL and check your voltage.With it connected it should
be 24 volts.
A DSL will work with they call a dry line. In other words you do not
have to have phone service to use he internet .
If your internet works and you have 48 volts with DSL and everything
disconnected then the fault definitely rests with the phone company.