Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Spiders, was Termites

"Lar" wrote
situation in rhe attic. They crawl in at night in the bathroom through
the bathroom ceiling fan and drop into the tub. So much fun. They also
come in from the fireplace if not lit every other day or so (getting cold
and they are looking for inside for the next month or so) and run across
the living room trying to get to a 'safe zone'.

If the bathroom is on an outer wall, the spiders may be coming from the
wall getting in around where the facets/shower head stems come through the
wall. If the flanges are not against the wall tight or not sealed.

I'm not clear on what 'flanges' may mean in this case but the fixtures are
well caulked with no holes. Also though the bathroom is in an exterior wall
with window (replaced that window 3 weeks ago due to rental tenant damage),
there is a toilet enclosure along the exterior wall and the shower/tub is
inside that.

Our treatment so far was to spider insecticide spray that ceiling vent and
there have been no more escapees since then. If it helps, we actually saw
oine come down that way. It'ss a not properly vented item, that just fan
vents to the attic. Not code spec but we can fix that to vent outside once
we get around to it. Kinda came that way with the 50YO house and only now
did we check that lovely aspect out.

Grin, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that one without just
driving them into the house proper if we 'spider bomb' the attic after
temp sealing the vents so the poison stays inside. I dont want to come
back to 'carpet critters everywhere' of the 8 legged sort after doing the
attic. Might just get it professionally done but still looking up the
info on such.

If it is more of a wall entry rather than ceiling, and if the outside
temperature where you are at is in the 70's you should get some results

Ceiling but your other info might work on the fireplace issue.

We are pretty sure on the fireplace issue too. After the renters didnt
bother to replace the cap, water got in and caused damage. We have repaired
all but the internal trap door that leads to the outer ash dump door. That
has not been replaced and has a 1/3 inch gap where it warped at one corner
due to rust. The fireplace is safe to operate but not 'bug sealed' and we
are not about to spray it and breathe burning insecticides....

3 weeks ago the big entrance was the front window, propped up by 2x4's after
the renters kicked it out. That has been fixed.

Alot of this is actually seasonal stuff for here. As it gets cold, they
always try to get warm. In about 2-4 weeks, they will be gone as far as
finding'em (most dead, rest so well hid they are no-see-ums).

If we are right (pretty sure, have seen them climb down from attic egresses)
and it's the attic, any advice? We plan to call and get a verbal estimate
from Orkin.