Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Termite Protection Warranty

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:00:03 -0800 (PST), newbee
wrote:

Ours is a brand new townhome built 2 years ago. The builder engaged a
pest control agency for termite control. We are now renewing the
warranty every year (they do not administer anything, but do an
inspection each year and we pay for the warranty alone). I heard that
its probably not needed for new homes.

Does anyone have insight into if this is required for new homes?

Thanks in advance.

SR.

I doubt there would be a requirement of any sort. I bought a
new-construction house in 1992. The lot is heavily wooded on one side
and I have seen termites in old logs. But I keep gutters cleaned,
keep debris away from the foundation, and do regular inspections
around the house and in the basement. The neighbor across the street
has a termite contract. They drilled a series of holes all around his
foundation to inject termicides. Neither of us had any infestations.
I'm sure if you read up on termite inspections, you can do it yourself
and save a little money. Termite companies like to use scare tactics
to sell their services. In any event, a yearly inspection is a good
idea.