Posted to alt.home.repair
JC[_2_] JC[_2_] is offline

Default Septic Tank Repair

wrote in message
Thanks Brent and JC. I really wouldnt have much of a problem with the
hole except every 3 years the township requires that my tank be
inspected. When it failed 2 years ago I got a notice to get it
repaired. Luckily my township is fairly lax with these type of
problems as we are mostly rural where I live, that is one of the
reasons it took so long to get to. Anyhow, more bad news, I just got
done digging the rest of the hole and it seems now there are more then
one leak. And that is just the side that I have exposed. JC, I think
I am going to use your idea with the chicken wire which should give
the plug extra strength, unfortunately it is looking like I might just
end up replacing the tank. This is extra sad because just the other
day I was staking out the corners of my future garage which will now
be put on hold for another couple years. Anyone have any real world
experience with the costs of replacing a tank? I was always told
around 4-5 thousand.

Thanks
Rod M.

It depends upon your "township", whether or not they will allow you to do it
yourself. If they will, it should cost the price of the replacement and the
rental on a backhoe, if you can use it. I'd say under a grand total. But, it
would be so much cheaper to just dig out all around it and patch whatever
needs patching. It's a lot of work, but just look at it as good exercise.
And then you can try to find a place to put the new boat or whatever you
spend that 4-5 thousand on. G