Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn & Bob Marilyn & Bob is offline

Default Telephone line troubleshooting

"Eric" wrote in message
ng.com...
48 volts is about right if no phone or other device is "off the hook".
Although I would have expected a somewhat lower number, 24 volts could
indicate some device is still trying to use the phone line. Are you sure
there's nothing you've overlooked - an autodialer in a burglar alarm, an
unused computer modem, a caller-ID box?

As others have said, assuming your internet connection is DSL, the fact
that it's working is a pretty good (although not 100%) sign that your
phone line is in good shape.

Eric Law

Surprising as it seems, this is just not true. It is quite possible to have
DSL and no dial tone. This often is the case when the line gets shorted out
by something like water in the box (has it rained hard lately?), or animals
gnawing on the insulation, or just plain corrosion. In some ways the DSL
signal is more tolerant than POTS. BTW, if your DSL is still connected,
then you don't have everything unplugged. Try unplugging the DSL and plug
in one phone to check for a dial tone.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"PaulD" wrote in message
My telephone service is out. I have scheduled a tech to come out
tommorrow, but if I can troubleshoot this myself I am willing to try.
Here is the situation:
The telephone tested the line remotely and did not find a problem.
I do not get a dial tone on any of my phones. I have disconnected
all devices from their jacks and tried reconnecting one at a time. I
did not get a dial tone on any of the lines after disconnecting
everything and letting the system sit for several minutes.
Although I do not get a dial tone on my telephones, I still have a
high speed internet connection. This strikes me as odd, but I don't
know how these things work.
I do not have a more modern network interface. Instead I have an
entrance bridge. My multimeter indicates that I am getting about 24
volts between the green and red wires. One site I have read says this
should be closer to 48 volts. Does this suggest the problem might be
at the phone company?
Are there any other relatively simple things that I can check? What
would should I do next?