Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson Leif Thorvaldson is offline

Default If this is a recession, what's in your wallet? (long & wrong)

"Arch" wrote in message
I began turning in the late 30's before we had escaped from the great
depression, but this is not about trudging thru 3 feet of snow to get to
a one room school and all that. Just a few suggestions just in case.

There is so much hardware with 1/2 in. female pipe threads or true 3/4 X
16 tpi that will fit lathes with 3/4 X 16 spindles that it might be
worthwhile to make or buy adapters for your particular spindle size. and
don't forget a #2 to #1 MT sleeve.

I've found steel 3/4 X 16 faceplates and #1 MT revolving tail centers on
sale at HD & HF. Their ten dollar Jacobs chucks work for me and many of
us use their little spray guns and six dollar 1/4 in. air die grinders.
The trick is to separate the bargains from the junk and be willing to
guess wrong about jello steel.

SNIP

=====Great and long and right, Arch!! In my small way I too have sought
and made such things. Unfortunately, "affluenza" is rampant and to keep the
economy of China, Canada, Australia humming we have to buy the new stuff!!
Where is your support for the global economy!! Archie get your GATT, get
your GATT!*G*

Leif