Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

J. Clarke wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
I think you'll find that most
SUV drivers are _not_ self employed.
All you need is a part time gig to deduct the expenses for that
business.
Most people I know who have jobs don't have "part time gigs", but
many of them drive SUVs.

There's no law that says you have to have one to drive an SUV. G

However, lots of jobs that may look like employees, because they
work
often at the same place, like real estate agents, hair dressers,
nurses, doctors, sales people, financial planners, flight
instructors, exotic dancers, etc... are actually paid as
sub-contractors and entitled to business expense deductions.

I've never met a nurse who was paid as a sub-contractor. In fact I
suspect their union would go ballistic over it.

Never ran across home-care nurses or other similar subcontracted areas?
I suspect you're thinking of on-floor hospital nurses only -- there
are many others as well. And here, at least, they're non-union even in
the hospital altho they're not considered subcontractors, of course.

The point is that extremely favorable tax treatment (sometimes, very
loosely applied and not caught by the IRS) steered lots of folks
from
cars to large vehicles.

Which accounts for at most a quarter of the sales of SUVs.

I wouldn't be too sure of that w/o more data than I have (or care to
research), but the general assumption of tax law being a driver to the
mix of vehicles is certainly true.