Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Termite Protection Warranty

On Nov 27, 6:01 pm, "Cshenk" wrote:
"newbee" wrote

Ours is a brand new townhome built 2 years ago. The builder engaged a
pest control agency for termite control. We are now renewing the
warranty every year (they do not administer anything, but do an
inspection each year and we pay for the warranty alone). I heard that
its probably not needed for new homes.

Does anyone have insight into if this is required for new homes?

'Required' can have several meanings this time. Your place was probably
treated. Several different types of termites apply here. Ground ones sound
like wht your area might have as thats the type where they just come out and
monitor as needed. Orkin has a spray that lasts up to 15 years as a
preventive but if you get an infestation, they pay to fix it once you have
the place treated. We just did that on our 50YO house.

Maintianing the warentee is cheap in comparison to an infestation and
cleaning one out.

That's the bottom line. I have a program where I pay about $60 a year
for a policy that covers annual inspection, application of some
indicator wood stakes outside to find termites before they get in the
house, and free treatment if termites are found. Seems a reasonable
deal compared to the cost of treatment. Of course it all depends on
how prevelant termites are in your area, type of construction, etc.

Also, check your insurance and household policies. You may find you are
required to keep the warentee until you have paid off the house.