Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default 10 foot transition from carpet and tile

On Nov 22, 6:03 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
homebrewdude wrote:
Was this a pre-made transition?

Or did you have to make it yourself?

Nah, they had every type of molding, transisitions, baseboards, casings,
chair rails, crown molding, baseboards, handrails, siding, and door moulding
imaginable. In any type of wood (from Balsa to Teak), in lengths up to about
40'.

If they didn't have what you wanted in stock, they'd punch it out by
tommorrow (just had to change the knives on one of their milling macines and
push a hunk of wood through it).

They've certainly got all the patterns you'd find at a big box store, except
they come in different woods and a wide assortment of lengths.

Here's an example:

http://www.houstonhardwoods.com/moulding.php?Type=thrsm

I found this using "moulding+(city name)" You might also try millwork.

In my case, I had put down a parquet floor in the hall and vinyl tile in the
breakfast area, about a 3/8" transistion. I could have used two 6'
"standard" lengths, but I thought that, after all the work and expense of
the two floors, I wouldn't settle for a patch job. In the process, I learned
about the existence of millwork shops.

--- as an aside

I own a duplex. One side is outfitted as an office and I live in the other.
I get one water bill, two electric bills, and two gas bills. I found out
that the gas company has a minimum charge of about $15.00/month just to
cover reading the meter, sending out a bill, and other overhead items. What
gas you use is extra.

My son and I spent about an hour and $20 to connect the natural gas
distribution systems of the two halves of the duplex, complete with cut-off
valve. Come Monday, I'm calling the gas company and have one of the meters
disconnected. That'll save about $180 per year!

And before anyone stomps their foot about not having a professional do the
job, there are no leaks.

We used the Bic Lighter technique for checking.

-- And before anyone stomps their foot about not having a
professional do the job, there are no leaks.

Just curious...did you call the gas company on Monday? Did they
disconnect the meter or did they stomp their foot about not having a
professional do the job?