Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Unions

wrote

Strikes and lock outs are hard on everyone. Most workers can not
afford to lose more than about two weeks wages. And it affects the
company too.

It is pathetic when a person makes a good union wage, yet cannot last more
than a couple of weeks off work. On our last strike, we were offered a
package with no health benefits. It was voted in! When I went back to work
and asked the guys, they said they voted for it because they needed to get
back to work for the money.

So, what's so great about a union and union wages if the members can't even
afford to save and stash enough to sit out a strike where the outcome is
that they give up their health benefits?

Not much in my eyes.

But then, they all didn't want to get down on their payments on "stuff" they
didn't need anyway. Like the big bubba truck for $500 a month plus gas and
insurance. It seems whether you make $800 or $8000 a month, that's what it
costs you to live. Most people, anyway.

Steve